Tuesday, March 14, 2017

What I Read: February

In case you missed it, I posted my January reads last week. I was only about a month late but you should check them out. I had some really good reads in January. February was a decent mix after I finished a book that took me a solid two weeks to read because of my lack of interest. Check out my reviews below to see which one.

Loved It:


I finally gave into reading A Dog's Purpose. One of my good friends recommended it to me when it first came out many years ago and I thought it might not be a book for me. I literally bawled everytime Bailey died. I've found myself thinking about it quite a few times since I finished. I'd like to think the same kind of loyalty is found in cats but we all know cats dgaf. I absolutely loved that the book was narrated from the dogs view. 


I'll Give You the Sun is easily my favorite book of the year so far. I fell into this one head first from the opening page. Everything about this book was superb. I loved Nelson's writing and the story of Noah and Jude and Jude's evolution. I was a huge fan of Aristotle and Dante and if you were too, you need to check out this book. The only thing that would have made this book better is if there was pictures of Noah's art.

Liked It:

Inspector Gamache #11
-Audio- 

This is the first of the Inspector Gamache books read not by Ralph Cosham. Even though I knew it was coming, it took me a while to get into the book. I was confused why they would choose someone with a British accent to narrate a French-Canadian book and the pronunciation of characters and words was just off. (I just Googled Cosham and he was British too but I never would have guessed that) With that being said, I did enjoy the story. It was a bit darker than Penny's other books. This is the first time a child has died. I hope this isn't the last we see of Fleming because I was intrigued by him; I like psychopaths.  It's still hard to see Gamache in a different role. Next up is The Great Reckoning which I heard was amazing and then I'm all caught up.

Leave It:


All Fall Down was my first Weiner book and I'm not sure if I will read another one. I probably should have DNF this one a long time ago but I slogged through it. I kept thinking surely something is going to happen but nope. I found this pointless and mind numbing. I was hoping that there would be some major turning point like the character would crash her car or OD on pills but it was so uneventful. 


I think I might have liked this one more if I hadn't just come off my I'll Give You the Sun high. Both books shared the same theme of a boy finding his sexuality and because that was the main thread, it felt like the two books were leagues apart. Totally chalking this one up to timing.

Love It: I'll Give You the Sun
Leave It: All Fall Down
Life According to Steph

16 comments:

  1. I found the lead character of All Fall Down so exhausting.
    I adored I'll Give You the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to some of Nature of the Beast although I read most of the other books in the series in print and he pronounced one Canadian thing (CSIS - our version of the CIA pronounced see-sis and he said C-S-I-S constantly) incorrectly...it drove me absolutely totally crazy. I hope you love A Great Reckoning! Her next book comes out August 29 of this year!!!! :)
    I'll Give you the Sun is on my list. The cover is so good and I have heard amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Purpose of a Dog sounds like a major tearjerker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am ridiculously behind on my blog reading but i am sure i will get to your january reads soon-ish. haha.
    i don't think i can handle a dog's purpose. the trailer for the movie made me cry. books are always worse in terms of crying, especially with animals.
    i'll give you the sun is on my list. the never ending list.
    oh bummer about all fall down. i haven't read it but i've heard awful things. i've read a few of her other books, good in bed was my favourite but i read it like 10 years ago haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Aristotle and Dante on my list to read soon, so I'll keep I'll Give You the Sun in mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually thought All Fall Down was one of her strongest books.

    I won't read or see A Dog's Purpose. I know, emotionally, I can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still haven't gotten to I'll Give You the Sun yet. Someday!

    I also can't see or read A Dog's Purpose. Like Jana, I won't handle it well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried during A Dog's Purpose when I saw the trailer before Rogue One. A part of me wants to read the book and another part doesn't think I have enough water in me for all the tears I will shed. And I'm a crazy cat lady, not a crazy dog lady! All these Louise Penny books make me feel guilty that I haven't continued with the series, even though I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not like Jennifer Weiner books either. I don't get the hype. Adding I'll give you the sun to my Goodreads right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read I'll Give You the Sun. I think I would love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved I'll Give You the Sun when I first read it too! I need to read the author's debut novel still.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm I am about to start The Nature of the Beast. I wonder of I should read it in print rather than listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All Give you The Sun is on my tbr list..perhaps I should move it up? Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read Louise Penny's series and I'll Give You The Sun! I can't handle sad animal things... : / Here from SUYB. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  15. All Fall Down was like a trainwreck. I kept reading because I was like "this has to get better..." and it never did. I'm not a Weiner fan (I think I've read two by her?) but I won't read another one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Dog's Purpose and I'll Give You the Sun have been on my TBR for a lonnnnggg time. I should fix that.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS