Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Last of 2016 Reads

December was a slow reading month for me. All my reading was done the week between Christmas and New Years but I've started off strong in January and already have four books under my belt. We leave for our trip in 8 days and I'm looking forward to some serious travel reading. I always get a lot of reading done on flights. 

Loved It:


Holy hell, was this a good book. I wasn't quite ready for it to suck me in and spit me out like a sobbing, blubbering mess. I had heard nothing but good things but I fell in love with every single character and the whole town of Alice. There's books that you read and you know where they are going but the writing and the story just grab you and pull you in such a way that it doesn't matter. I need to know Maya and Amy's story after AJ. 

Liked It:

 
It took me quite a few pages to get into this story but once I did, it flew by. If you are a fan of fantasy or fairytale retellings, you'll like Bitter Greens. It flipped between several different stories and I found De La Force's my favorite. She had a sad tale and was pretty unlucky in love but she had a strong personality and wit and could hold her own in a time that women were meant to be pretty accessories. 


I thoroughly enjoyed A Little Something Different so I was excited for her newest. Signs Point to Yes was good but almost a little too cutesy for me. It was fun and light which was what I was looking for at the time.


I've been a fan of Kingsolver since I read Prodigal Summer. I've been slowly working my way through her stuff. This one was pretty sluggish for me. I don't know what it was but I couldn't get into it. It was interesting to learn about the butterflies. It kind of reminded me Picoult's Leaving Time in that there was this one main animal that was woven into the book and you gain a lot of knowledge about them. I liked Kingsolver's choice to use the butterflies as a way to segway into global warming.

Love It: The Storied Life of AJ Fikry
Leave It: None!

Life According to Steph

8 comments:

  1. <3<3<3 AJ Fikry. What an amazing book. I hope to re-read it sometime. I found A Little Something Different to be almost too cutesy so I bet this one would be over the top for me. The covers are gorgeous though and 16 year old me would have considered her books to be 5 star reads, so they are good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always get so much reading done on flights as well. perfect time to read! AJ Fikry was so, so good. Loved it. Bitter Greens sounds good, I quite like fantasy and fairytale retellings. I still haven't read Signs Point to Yes, I heard it wasn't as good as A Little Something Different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read AJ Fikry. It's been on my TBR for too long and everyone seems to love it a lot. Bitter Greens sound interesting as I enjoy fairy tale retellings - adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've avoided Flight Behavior. I just never had the urge.

    I love the title Bitter Greens but fantasy/fairytale retellings typically is not my sweet spot in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved, LOVED AJ Fikry!

    I'm not sure I'd like the rest. They don't seem like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just really need to read AJ Fikry ASAP. I feel like I'm the only blogger who hasn't at this point. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read The Storied Life of AJ Fikry. I also need to read something by Sandy Hall.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've yet to read Barbara Kingsolver. I have The Poisonwood Bible on my bookshelf still waiting to be read
    AJ Fikry has an extra special place in my heart due to some similar circumstances with a loved one. Don't want a spoiler on here in case someone actually reads my comment.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS