Tuesday, November 8, 2016

October Reading

Hi, hi, hi book people! I can't believe its been a whole month since I've even looked at this blog. But then I go and read my book list for the month of October and I can't believe I read it just a month ago (HP and the Cursed Child). I've also decided to try something new this month with my rating system. I was thinking about my book posts in the car this weekend and realized that my lists probably looked random to everyone else but me and so I thought I would try something a little more organized. Btw, they weren't random, they were listed in order of how I read them. 

Before I move into the reason why we are all reading blogs the second Tuesday of the month, I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of Election Day. Now more than ever it is important to exercise your right to vote. I try not to get too overly political on social media but I can't keep my mouth shut with this election.
I posted the above photo on Insta last night because my morals are what is driving my vote this year. The biggest mistake you can make is believing that your vote doesn't count. When the whole election is weighing on the outcome of a couple states, your vote is important. You might not like either candidate (myself included) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't vote. A vote for no one is still a vote. It's a vote to ignore the right so many have fought to protect. It also means you don't get to bitch about anything that happens because of it. Please, please exercise your right to vote this Election Tuesday.

Must Reads:

 
 

Clearly if you are a HP fan, you're going to read this book. It took me a 2 hour plane ride to read and it was so great to be back in the wizarding universe. I will never not love anything Harry Potter. At times, I felt like I didn't know Harry because it was weird seeing him as an adult and father when you still think of him as he was when the books ended. I kind of felt that way with all of the original characters. Like totally weird to see Ron and Hermione as parents and a married couple. I want more about everyone's lives. I'd really like to hope that Rowling might bring us more at some point.
 

This book was so, sooo good. I absolutely loved that Picoult went back to her roots and formula and that she tackled a very important topic right now. The race issue in America still feels like something people don't want to touch. I'd like to believe as a white person that she gave the topic justice. Small Great Things was certainly thought provoking especially the whole passive racism thing. Like a man will never understand women's equality, I will never understand what it is like to be a black female in society. And while I would like to believe there is no difference, I know that's not true but I never realized just how different it really is until reading Ruth's story. I'd like to believe that the stupid prejudices of generations before had evolved but they haven't; that people still avoid sitting next to a person of different color or automatically think they are stealing from a store. I can't recommend this book enough.
 

I love books like Black Eyed Susans. They are full of suspense and mystery but also a serial killer. I have a weird morbid fascination with serial killers. While this book wasn't totally perfect, like the killer was too easily taken care of and you never know their motive. It was full of messed up twists and turns. I love fucked up characters and this one was full of them. I really needed to know more about the killer but in all, this book had me hooked from the beginning. It reminded me of Still Missing which I really liked as well.

Worth a Try:

   
(Inspector Gamache Series #7)  
Audio Format 

Still listening my way through the Gamache books. While this was no Bury Your Dead, I liked it for the character development. Like Peter and Clara, say what?! I was so shocked by that but...not. Beauvoir and his pain and everything going on there. Gamache and Olivier and the road to repair that relationship. And Ruth, grumpy, cranky Ruth. I wish I could be part of the Three Pines community and have dinner at the bistro with everyone. 

 

I picked this up at the airport because I had finished all the books I brought with me on my trip earlier this month. I finished it on one of the legs and while I recommend this book, it left me a touch weepy on the flight. I'm not one for openly crying in public and always feel a bit embarrassed by it. For some reason, I didn't have high expectations for this book even though I had heard it was really good, but I devoured it and loved it. I loved the magic-ness and the fairytale story-ness of the novel. It was so incredibly sad but I think Dowd and Ness representated a probably true representation of a child's grief. The dad was utterly ridiculous and deserved a swift kick to the nuts.

 The book started off a little slow and was kind of predictable but all and all it was a decent read. I figured out the father pretty quickly after I figured out who gave birth. I was still pretty shocked by it just because. If you like suspense and mystery, you'll like this one.

Skip It:

Classic #3 
 
Ehh, it was okay. I'm pretty sure I read this at some point but even after reading it this time, I can't remember. While it was short but sweet, I think there might have been too much hype or something. It left me wanting to know more about Lennie and George's relationship and how they got to where they were. George did him a kindness by killing him the way he did but why didn't they run? Was he tired of dealing with him? Can't help but wonder if it was selfish.
 
This was a total miss for me. Too religious, too spiritual. The whole journey to enlightenment that Tuck was trying to achieve was pointless. While I did like Adele's free spirit and dgaf attitude, the whole of everything else, lost it for me. 
Love It: Small Great Things & Black Eyed Susans
Leave It: The Woman Who Walked on Water 

Life According to Steph

14 comments:

  1. I just picked up Where They Found Her at a secondhand bookstore, so I'll get to that eventually. I agree with your assessment of Black Eyed Susans. And, I've only read great things about Jodi Picoult's new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'A vote for no one is still a vote'. very true!
    i used to do my books in order of reading them as well, so i get ya! i like this new way though.
    i agree with everyone you said about small great things. certain things they say in that book hit me hard, like i had never thought about them because i thought not thinking about them made me okay? you know? it was a tough topic but if anyone can do it, it's Picoult.
    Still haven't read the new HP. I keep waffling back and forth on whether I will or not. i don't know why though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding the Blacked Eye Susan on to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your exact feelings about the new Harry Potter book...I loved being back with the characters, it felt different for them to be older, and I really hope that JK Rowling gives us some more info someday!! It felt like not enough information for me at times and I am still craving more. I had to go to Goodreads to remember what happened in a Trick of the Light, but I do know that one wasn't my favourite...Book 8 was really unique, Book 9 blew my mind, 10 was okay for me and 11 was totally amazing. I love interacting with another Louise Penny fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the exact same about SGT. I said this to someone else but I read Between the World and Me this month and it had a totally different meaning on the heels of SGT.

    Black Eyes Susans has been on my TBR for awhile now but I keep passing over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big AMEN to everything you said about the election. Loved Cursed Child and felt so blessed to even have a few moments back in Harry Potter world. And it did feel a little weird to see Harry, Ron and Hermione as adults, and I really, really want more, but in a true book form with lots of Rowling's lovely prose. Small Great Things is on my list but I won't lie - I'm a little nervous. Nothing scares more than racism (I am a minority) and I have a very hard time reading books that deal with it. A Monster Calls has been made into movie. It comes out pretty soon, I think, and Liam Neeson is voicing the monster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so mad at myself that I still haven't read the newest Harry Potter book! I need to get on it! The new Jodi Picoult book sounds so good, and so many people have talked about how good it is! That needs to go on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the synopsis of that Jodi Picoult book yesterday. I had no idea the book had a race theme because I've never seen her write about something like that before. I was to check that book out.
    https://runwright.net/2016/11/05/full-house-reading-challenge-completed/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black-Eyed Susans was pretty good. I have the Inspector Gamache series on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm listening to the Gamache books too. I'm on #3 - glad to hear dear old Ruth is still around in #7!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Small Great Things on my NetGalley and can't wait to read it. Black Eyed Susans sounds super good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have HP on my iPad right now from the library and I'm excited to finally read it! I've never read anything by Picoult, but I've heard so many good things about Small Great Things, I think it might be my first from her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a Steinbeck fan.

    I also love serial killers in a totally normal way of course so I enjoyed BES as well.

    I have Small, Great Things to read and I really want to but worry that it will further enrage me and I can't really deal with any more rage at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've also been struggling with blogging and haven't really done anything since the last link-up. I'm starting to really miss it, though, and now that our last trip for the year is over maybe I can finally get back to some sort of regular posting schedule. Maybe.

    But anyway, on to books!

    Several of these are already on my "To Read" list, including the Patrick Ness book. I haven't read any of his books, but I have a bunch on my list. I have a feeling he'll be an author I really enjoy.

    I liked Black Eyed Susans, but for some reason it took me a while to really get into it. I thought it was a decent read overall, but I agree that some things could have been handled a little better. I did really like the capital punishment tie-in, though, and, of course, serial killers fascinate me. (You know I share your love of the macabre!)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS