Friday, March 4, 2016

What I've Learned After a Year of Blogging

March 5th marks a year of blogging for me. I cannot believe that a year ago, I opened up Blogger and wrote my first post. I'd been reading blogs for several years and had thought about it off and on. I'm ashamed to admit this but I remember sitting at my desk at work and writing my first post and picking my blog template. I was bored and figured I'd give it a shot. I mean, what did I have to lose? It's been a little of a bumpy road but as long as I don't put too much pressure on myself and play the comparison game, I do enjoy it. I like this place and I genuinely love when I publish a post and see comments.  That fact that anyone reads what I say amazes me. So I thought I would share the things I've learned in this year of Ramblin' Rose.

// Telling people IRL that you have a blog is hard and it's hard for multiple reasons. It's hard to casually work it into convo that you have this place on the internet that you share yourself with. Nevermind trying to describe what you actually do. I can count on one hand the people in my "real life" who know about it. And besides Errol, they all asked "but what do you write about". If you're like me, you don't write about anything special; lists, books and maybe some awkward clothes reviews thrown in. So how do you describe that? It's also hard knowing that people you know might be reading your words. 

// I'm still trying to find my voice, so to say. I find it difficult to come here and for the words to just flow naturally. To not edit myself. To have something I deem worthwhile to read.

// I knew this when I started but blogging takes a lot of effort and time but I guess I didn't realize what that actually meant. I see other bloggers, who I read and love, post every day and then they read 100+ books in a year and do things on the weekends and I'm like where do you find the time? But also maybe the desire (if that's the word) because I'll be honest, sometimes I just want to come home from work and not really do much. I count reading in there with not wanting to do much. I loathe the nights where I have so much to do that by the time I'm done and ready to just settle down for a sec, it's bedtime. Share your ways with me, oh wise ones!

//When you have high expectations for yourself, it's hard not to feel pressure. Pressure to have the "perfect" blog with all the pretty photos and hundreds of readers with 50 comments a day. To stand out in a sea of sameness. When in reality, you don't want to fit in but you feel like you have to so that people will visit your space. I haven't fit in a day in my life so I have to remind myself that it's ok if I only post twice a week. No ones keeping track except for you.

// Finding a blogging schedule that works for you will be a challenge. I'm still working on this. It's been my goal all along to post three times a week but I'll be damned if I've gotten there. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. You need to find something that works for you and your schedule.

// This goes hand in hand with finding a schedule but coming here consistently with unique and creative posts isn't easy. You might make every intention of blogging three times a week but your creative mojo might not always be there. Sometimes you might think that you have this really great post and then no one reads it. Or you might host your first giveaway and it will be a flop. There's a learning curve.

// But with all of the growing pains this year, I can't tell you how awesome it's been to know that I have people who come here to read my post and actually have something to say about what I'm writing.  It might be a small group of people but I honestly don't care. So thank you if you're one of those people. You know who you are. I appreciate every comment I get.
 
So here's to another year of blogging with a little more experience under my belt.

3 comments:

  1. happy blogiversary! i agree with all the things you said. i don't tell people about my blog, my 3 besties know but only because 1 of them found it by googling something and was like hey kristen i saw your face on the internet. oops. haha. i told the others shortly after, but i don't tell anyone else (well, my husband knows). i agree with not wanting to do anything when i get home. no thanks! i want to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy one year! It is a learning curve for sure, isn't it?

    Really, really important: no one is keeping track except for you.

    I skipped over the whole do I/do I not aspect of telling people I have a blog, I share it on my personal FB and always have so most people know I have one and I don't really find it coming up in conversation with people I don't know well or just meet.

    It took me a while to get into the groove I'm in now: when and how I write my posts. Since I'm not a huge photo editor and don't edit myself a lot writing-wise, it doesn't take me too long to do each post. Plus I have my go to formats so they make it easier too. Having the app on my phone helps me, I can write a sentence here and there on something I might have in draft. And if I don't have a post for the day, I don't have a post. I don't stress over it and not stressing over it is probably actually what makes it possible for me to have five posts a week. I refrain from making it feel like work as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogiversary!

    Blogging can be pretty difficult. It's hard to find your voice, even when you HAVE found your voice, if that makes sense. It's hard to find time to blog and to do it regularly. That's something that I struggle with and my work schedule doesn't really help with that. I for one, quite enjoy your blog and I think you do very well :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS