Monday, February 22, 2016

Why You Should be Reading PostSecret


I've been reading PostSecret pretty much from the beginning.  I used my bff and found out it's been around since 2005. I swear it feels like longer because that's the year I graduated high school and I thought I was reading it before then but I digress. PostSecret is an project that Frank Warren created where people mail in anonymous secrets. Every Sunday, a selection of those secrets are featured.
Via PostSecret




I can't even remember where or how I found out about it. It started as this thing I would visit every Sunday and occasional save secrets that meant something to me. I've long since abandoned that archive but I still visit every Sunday. I've probably only missed a handful of posts. I think we can all agree that there's something about anonymous confessions. As humans, we all want to feel like we're not alone and that someone else out there shares our same feelings. Plus, whether you want to admit it or not, we are all curious about people's skeletons.
I remember when the first PostSecret book came out. I was working at the bookstore back then. I told my friend Kyle about it and we read the book together. We read every book together since then until he passed away four years ago. I still have the spot marked in Confessions of Life, Death and God where we stopped. It became this special thing that we shared and in turn, PostSecret has taken on a more special place in my heart. I'm a sentimental person. I collect memories and tokens. Even though it's been four years, Kyle's death still feels raw sometimes. His death has probably effected me the most in my adult life. Losing him was so sudden and unexpected. He had one of those spirits that just burned so bright. He was infectious to be around. 
Not only is PostSecret the largest ad free blog, it also supports the 1-800-suicide hotline. Anyone that is trying to good in the world is alright in my book. There was a PostSecret app for about 2.5 minutes until it was shut down because people were using it to post malicious and bullying things. It was also used as the backdrop of the All American Rejects' Dirty Little Secret video.


I'm making it my unofficial goal to make it to a PostSecret event this year. They will be in Philadelphia in March but I'll be out of town then for work. I've wanted to go for years and haven't quite made it. I'm making it a point to make it happen. I'm fully prepared that I might cry ( I tend to cry easily) but I'm sure I won't be the only one. It might also convince me to mail in a secret of my own.
Not all secrets are created equal. Some are funny, some you wonder if they are real and then some just stab you in the heart. Maybe you might recognize yourself in one of them. Or you might be disgusted, but I guarantee you they will make you feel something.

All secrets featured are from yesterday's post. The PostSecret archive can be found here.

Do you read PostSecret?



4 comments:

  1. I want to go to one of their events so much! I thought about road tripping to one recently, but things got too hectic! Love postsecret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to read it religiously. I read it less these days, but I still do read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, i have never heard of this, but i love the idea. i also love that they support the suicide hotline. i am very sentimental as well, i am sorry for the loss of your friend, but i can understand why this would mean so much to you. i hope you are able to go to an event this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved Post Secret. I think it's an ingenious project and I agree, some are funny, some seem made up, and others... heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS