Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Top Books of 2015

 
 I read some really great books and some not so great books in 2015.  This is the first year in all my reading years that I've tracked my reading.  I'm reading number 85 right now and I'm aiming to have it finished before Thursday. Since this was my first time tracking my book count, I made a rough goal of reading 100 books.  I had no idea if it was attainable or if I normally would read that much in a year but I thought it was a good number to try to make.  And while I didn't quite get there, I'm pretty happy with 85 books for the year.  That's roughly 7 books a month and I know that's more than anyone I personally know reads in a year.
 
But with that being said, for 2016, I'm not making a reading goal.  Because even though I didn't make my goal, I still felt the pressure from it.  Like I couldn't read that 800 page book that I have because it would take too long so I'll read two 300 page books instead pressure. I'm going back to reading whatever the hell I want to, when I want to and not worry about the number.
 
I decided for this Best Of edition of Show Us Your Books to keep it short and simple and narrow it down to my top ten, in no particular order.  It wasn't easy, I had a few books I had to cut out but I think it's a pretty solid top ten.
 
// Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler
// Golden Son by Pierce Brown
// The Martian by Andy Weir
// The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
(I'm cheating and grouping these into one listing)
// All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
 
 
Linking up with Steph


11 comments:

  1. Wasn't All the Light We Cannot See one of the most beautifully written books you've ever read? And The Martian - hands down my Book of the Year! Interesting list! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Martian! I just bought Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald. So glad to see someone enjoyed it because I've never heard of it until I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sea of Tranquility was on my list as well! I've read The Martian, The Night Circus, Me Before You, The Light Betwen Oceans and All the Light We Cannot See and agree they were all really good reads. I read Shadow and Bone and your list reminds me I should try to finish the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must finish the Grisha series! That and Goldenson would be my top, top picks of the year.

      Delete
  4. I think I read them last year (I can never remember but pretty sure it wasn't this year) but I really enjoyed Z, The Light Between Oceans, and The Night Circus.

    I only pick a number of books to read on Goodreads to see if I get there - I don't really feel that number hanging out there. Some years I'm close and some years I'm way over (I can never predict that) or under (usually when I have more than one four week reading lull or when I read a few big mamas).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody keeps on talking about The Sea of Tranquility! I feel like I need to drop everything right now and go read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Martian! Definitely on my list, too. Me Before You made me cry. And a couple of others are already on my list so good choices!

    Re: reading goal. I don't use it as pressure to make sure I read that much. I just do it for fun to see if I can. Reading should not be a pressure inducing activity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still need to read The Light Between Oceans; The Sea of Tranquility; and All The Light We Cannot See, which you know, I'll get to in about 3 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i totally felt the same pressure. i think i will still make a goal, but a smaller one. good job on 85! that's awesome.
    i've read a few of your favourites, the others are on my list. that aristotle and dante one has been on my list for over a year but i never seem to pick it up for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought Me Before You at a secondhand bookstore a year ago. I still haven't read it. Why?!? I get so distracted by all the books. I've heard mixed thoughts on All the Lights... I feel like I need to read it to draw my own conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that a reading goal can put unnecessary pressure on you, especially if, like you said, you really want to read a longer novel but know you'll never hit your overall goal if you do. That's been a problem for me at times, but, at the same time, I love setting goals … So I set another (slightly higher!) goal for myself this year. I'm honestly feeling more pressure about finishing my reading challenges in time than reading 60 books. Haha. It's all fun for me, though, whether I complete my challenges or not. But still … I probably won't be picking up an 800+ page novel any time soon!

    I think 85 books in a year is fantastic, by the way. Good job!

    As for your list, I knew The Sea of Tranquility would probably pop up on a lot of lists, and I was right! It was on mine as well.

    I chose The Martian as one of my books for Erin's reading challenge, so I'll be getting to that one soon. I'm sure I'll see it on quite a few lists as I make my rounds in this link-up, and I can't wait to finally check it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS