Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Scary & Magical

 
I couldn't come up with ten scary books so I figured I would pick one of my favorite themes in a book; magic. Halloween isn't just about the scary. It's about believing in the supernatural. I haven't read too many books that scares me or has me looking over my shoulder but give me a book with elements of magic and I am hooked.  I love anything that suspends reality. I mixed a few childhood favorites in there as well.  And when I saw The Witches, I really mean the movie.  Anjelica Huston in that movie?  The stuff of nightmares.
 
So tell me, what one book made you want to sleep with the lights on?
 

Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish


7 comments:

  1. Ok so maybe I'm a wimp, but I cannot to scary books. Scary crime shows? All the time! But books are too real for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary Stories used to terrify me when I was a kid!

    Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But I kind of love being freaked out!

      Delete
  3. I liked Night Circus a lot.

    I remember my fifth grade teacher reading The Witches to us. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the books you've listed in your post this week. Quite a few of them sound really good, so I'll have to add them to me ever growing reading wishlist.

    I read The Peeler by Gord Rollo earlier this year and it was very creepy!!
    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/10/top-ten-tuesday-10-literary-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NOS4A2 and The Night Circus on my "To Read" list ... I'm glad to see you recommend them both!

    I love scary things, but I feel like I watch more scary movies than read scary books for some reason. (Even though I don't feel like I watch that many movies in general.) I posted a list of my favorite scary movies on my blog last year around Halloween if you want to see which movies gave me the creeps.

    As for books, the only book I can immediately think of that really freaked me out was A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans. I don't typically get nightmares, but that book gave me nightmares. I want to read it again at some point to see if it's still as terrifying the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scary books. Love them. I'd rather read them then watch horror movies. Maybe because my mind controls the images? I dunno.

    I love Practical Magic, both movie and book.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS