Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Experience Fall in the White Mountains


When Eventbrite reached out to ask me if I would write a post recommending fall activities to do in my area, I agreed because I love where I live.  I live where thousands of people vacation each year, whether it be to ski in the winter or camp in the summer, the White Mountains of New Hampshire are a big draw to the New England area. Don't believe me, just check out this article.

Thank you, Eventbrite for letting me share my area with everyone and recommend fall activities to do in the White Mountains. Make sure to visit their website to help plan your next local event!

Places to Eat

+ You cannot visit this area without making a stop at Polly's Pancake Parlor. Sure, it's a tourist destination and you might end up waiting an hour to eat but it's worth it.  Try the buckwheat pancake with the maple spread.  And with a mountain backdrop like that, who can go wrong? 


+ The Littleton Diner is a great stop for lunch.  Typical diner food but the ambiance is where it's at.  The diner is located in a converted railway car.
Littleton Diner front

 + My absolute favorite dinner spot is The Commonman in Lincoln.  Commonman has a handful of restaurants scattered throughout NH but this is the one I frequent the most.  They even have locations at the newly renovated rest areas off the tolls in the southern part of the state.  The service can't be beat and the food is excellent.  Bonus points for the white chocolate you get with every meal.

Things to Do

+ I couldn't write a post about the White Mountains without mentioning the hiking.  We are known for our mountains and the trails that lead you to them.  People come from all over the world to hike here.  We have the tallest peak east of the Rockies. I follow quite a few AT thru hikers on Instagram and I'm not going to lie, I loved seeing and hearing them say how challenging the trails were in NH. There are several day hikes to do but a good non-strenuous one I would recommend would be Lonesome Lake.  It's a roughly 5 mile round trip hike that ends at a lake at the top of a mountain.  You could easily hike this in a morning. And just look at that view.



 + As a whole, Franconia Notch cannot be missed. It's located right of I-93 and there's a handful of attractions to stop at, from the Basin and Flume to the Cannon Mountain Tram.



 + After all that exploring, you will need to treat yourself so why not stop at the world's longest candy counter, Chutters. There is every kind of candy imaginable sold by the penny and pound.  Also not to be missed is their fudge.

+ Make sure to stop at the famous Mount Washington Hotel. Directly out of the grand hotel era, with Mt Washington in the background. You might even see a ghost or two.


+ If you still have any energy after all the adventures, you might want to make a pit stop at the outlets in North Conway.  Why am I recommending the outlets?  Because New Hampshire is tax free.  What you see on the price tag is what you pay.

I hope you enjoyed a tour of the must see spots in my area.  Have you ever been to New Hampshire?  What did you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS