Friday, September 25, 2015

Fri-YAY 9.25.15

O N E//

Last weekend we traveled to Portland, ME for a short getaway.  One of my friends, who is currently working here but lives in Portland, offered us her apartment for the weekend. We got in late Friday night and left early Sunday morning.  Saturday was the perfect day between the weather and the activities. 
We took a ferry to Peaks Island and spent the majority of the day there. I instantly fell in love with this island.  It is so quant and exactly what you would imagine a coastal Maine summer island to be. There are residents that live on the island full time but it is predominately a summer vacation spot.  And apparently, a wedding destination.  On this small island, we counted three weddings taking place that Saturday. We rented a golf cart and explored the island.  It had scenic views and even a Battery Steel that was used during WWII.  It was opened to the public in 2005 as a preserve.  It was dark and creepy and filled with amazing graffiti.



 
 
We also went to the Body Worlds exhibit.  This has been on my list for years.  I had wanted to go a few years ago when it was in Boston.  I had no idea it was in Portland until I just happened to catch the sign advertising it and knew we had to go.  Errol wasn't really into it, he thought it was creepy.  I was fascinated by it.  My dream job when I was younger was to become a Medical Examiner.

 
 


 

We got a nightcap from LFK which had this great bar.  It had typewriter keys along the length of the bar that wrote out Emily Dickinson's poem, After a great pain, a formal feeling comes. I got their West End Mule. It was made with Makers Mark instead of vodka.
 


 

 T W O//

I crossed something off my to do list that's been there for the last 2 months. I finally caught up on blog posts.  My Bloglovin reader has over 600 posts in it. I went through and marked as read or read/commented on them all. I'm so happy to have it cleared up again so I can start reading posts more regularly.

T H R E E//

I just started The Light Between Oceans and I'm engrossed already and I'm only 50 pages in. 


F O U R//

Next weekend we are going to Boston for Errol's birthday.  I'm super excited, mostly because we are going to see Blue Man Group.  I bought him tickets for our anniversary last week and this will be the first time going to their show for both of us.


F I V E//

Sadly, this is not a favorite this week.  My Gram passed away on Tuesday morning.  Her health has been declining for the last year, mostly due to diabetes and age. Our family has kind of been preparing for this but it doesn't make it any less hard. In the scheme of things, it was kind of sudden.  I think we all figured that we would be more aware that it was happening.  I'm glad that she's in peace now but she was just such a constant in my life.  It's surreal to acknowledge that she just won't be there anymore.  She also was the thread that held our whole family together.  I worry that without her the family won't be the same or make the effort to gather.

Losing people throughout your life even if it's not to death still feels the same. A part of you dies depending on how much that person meant to you when you find out they weren't the person they portrayed themselves to be.:
 
Linking up with A. Liz Adventure

&

Karli at September Farm


4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Gram! That quote is touching and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your gram and I hope you are doing alright. If you ever need to talk, I'm a great listener. Losing a loved one is never easy, even is you know it's coming. My heart goes out too you and your family and I'm sending you positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. And that quote, that hurt just to read because it is just so painfully true. It's sad when the glue is gone. Make the effort.

    As far as the exciting things, I always wanted to see Bodies, and yes, it's a little creepy. In a cool and fascinating way. Portland looks like it was a lot of fun! Never been :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram. I know how difficult it is to lose a grandparent. And that quote? Very very true.

    On a more positive note, I saw the Bodies exhibit a few years ago when it was in Omaha, and I thought it was awesome. I'm glad you got to experience it! And the pictures from your weekend are stunning!

    Also, hooray for getting caught up on your blog reading! I've been behind lately as well (not 600 posts behind, but 100+ posts). I'm on a reading/catching up/commenting spree this evening. I just do it whenever I can find some time! Sometimes that's multiple times during the week, and sometimes I try to cram as much as possible into one evening.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS