Tuesday, September 8, 2015

August Book Review

 

 It's my favorite link up of the month. I've been in a major reading rut for the last couple of months. I'm also behind in my goal of reading 100 books this year. I'm currently sitting at 60. But I really love this link up because I get to see what everyone else is reading and add about 10 new books to my tbr.
 
Rating System
5- Loved it! All the feels and flails. New favorite
4- Really liked it
3- Decent
2- Would not recommend. Ehh
1- Did not like.  Didn't finish. Gave book away.

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong
Rating: 3
Literary Ladies book pick
 
Originally published in 1973, the ground-breaking, uninhibited story of Isadora Wing and her desire to fly free caused a national sensation—and sold more than twelve million copies. Now, after thirty years, the iconic novel still stands as a timeless tale of self-discovery, liberation, and womanhood.
 
I can see why this book was such a hit when it was published in the 70's. The ideas of feminism, gender roles and love still apply today.  There were parts of Isadora Wing's story that I didn't love but the ideas behind the storyline were timeless. I can connect with Wing's desire to baulk society's norms and that a women can freely love just as much as a man. The idea that marriage and sex are not mutually exclusive. There were definitely aspects of the story that are still being discussed today especially in the regards of man's views on the roles women have in society as a whole and in individual relationships.  If you really stop to think about it, the fact that in 30 years, these ideas of how and what a women should be haven't really changed. It's quite sad.
 
Rating: 3
Literary Ladies book pick
 
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
 
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? I bought this on a Kindle deal, thank god. I found every single character to be unlikeable. Rachel annoyed and angered me to no end. I will say that I did finish it in two days just due to the fact that I had to know what the twist was going to be. Is it equivalent to Gone Girl? No. I mean, it wasn't even a mystery.  It was just a drunk girl trying to figure out what happened one night.
 
 
 
So there is my really exciting reading for August. I'm still plugging away at The Gone Away World. I like it, it's just not the sort of book you binge read.  I'll read like 15 pages and then put it down.  The story is imaginative and I want to see where it's going.  There is just a lot of back story going on. I have one more book to read after that for the Literary Ladies Challenge.  I started the challenge thinking it was going to be an easy thing to read 10 books and in theory it should have been.  I just have not been reading like normal so I'm really hoping I can finish a book and half by the 21st.
Life According to Steph
Linking up with Steph
 

21 comments:

  1. I liked The Girl on the Train, but I didn't like the characters. They were not people you actually wanted to pull for (although I hated Anna the most). But I think the fact that I wanted to finish the story, despite the awful people it was about, says good things about the author's writing ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should probably read Jong's book. I never have and it sounds like something that's right up my alley.

    I hated all the Train characters but still liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya! August was not a good reading month for me. I did finish a couple books on tape to entertain me on my commute, but nothing spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might pick up Fear of Flying although it doesn't sound like I need to run out and get it. Agree with you on The Girl on the Train. It was good but definitely overhyped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed The Girl on the Train. I've heard of Fear of Flying but haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the twist in it. I didn't see it coming.

      Delete
  6. I liked The Girl on the Train despite loathing all the main characters, especially Rachel. She was the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt the same way about The Girl on the Train. I didn't get the hype. That said, I still definitely want to see the movie. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt pretty blah about the Girl on the Train too! It was built up so much for me and it felt like kind of a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't love The Girl on the Train, either. I think it was ways overhyped so that affected it. And, I got the two female narrators confused. There wasn't enough difference in their tone to differentiate, and I thought that was annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have faith that you'll finish the book challenge. Even if you don't, we do them for enjoyment, right? So, no worries. I actually really liked the despicable characters of The Girl on the Train...but I was underwhelmed with Gone Girl. I can be weird sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way about the Girl On The Train. So unlikeable and really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read either of these books. Fear of Flying sounds like something I might read but I am skipping Girl on Train. I generally don't like books that are super hyped and I have read so many bad reviews on it that I can't even pretend to care anymore that I haven't read it haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annnd I commented with the wrong account. Sorry about that. Need more coffee!!!

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way about overhyped things and most of the time try to avoid them. I took the plunge because it was $1.99 on Amazon, otherwise I probably would have been fine not reading it.

      Delete
  13. THANK YOU. I also did not like Girl on the Train and HATE that people keep comparing it to Gone Girl. I liked Gone Girl so much better. The twist was so much more interesting and surprising. Girl on the Train was unlikeable unlikeable characters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read The Girl on the Train (finally!) last month as well, but I liked it more than you did. I didn't love it as much as I thought I would, but it kept me interested. And yes, the characters were all pretty unlikable, but, for some reason, I cared about what happened to Rachel.

    I'm going to add Fear of Flying to my "To Read" list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Fear of Flying. I read it in college and have been thinking for a while that I'm due for a reread. It's interesting how for the time it was published, so many of the concepts are pretty radical (but they're my no-brainer beliefs now)... but at the same time, reading it 30/40-some odd years later, there's still some things that date it way back to the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "It was just a drunk girl trying to figure out what happened one night."
    Truth. I still enjoyed it because I hated Gone Girl. It left my brain just so messed up. I'm still not over that mind-fuckary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I remember not minding the main character of the girl on the train.. I mean, I didn't love her, but she was the best of a bad bunch lol. i didn't mind the book but it didn't blow me away, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rachel's character infuriated me! I remember liking the twist ending but at the same time thinking - this is it? ALL of that to culminate with this? I liked it enough though.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS