Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Literary Ladies Challenge Update

I started my new job on Monday so I've been trying to figure out a new routine. My new job has a more strict policy when it comes to cell phone and computer usage.  That coupled with the fact that I go to work an hour earlier and have a shorter lunch break is throwing me all out of wack.  I used to read blogs on my lunch break but we are not allowed to eat at our desks. I'm exhausted when I get home and it's not even that I'm that busy because I'm still doing lots of learning and training but that hour I have to get up earlier is leaving me BFF's with my couch.


Book Update

Read: 5/10

1. A YA book (mandatory!) Me Since You by Laura Wiess
Read my review for this HERE
2. Non US Author  (mandatory!) - Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
Currently reading this now.
3. A book that was recommended by a blogger  (mandatory!) - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
4. A book that has been on your TBR list for a year or more - The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway
5. A book with a kickass female character -Fear of Flying by Erica Jong
6. A book that is or will be a movie (or TV show) - Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman
Finished this the other week. Thoroughly enjoyed.  I will review with my July book review post.
7. A book written by a comedian or celebrity – or even a memoir if neither of those are your jam. Scattershot: My Bipolar Family by David Lovelace
Read my review of this HERE
8. A book with a one word title. Dedication by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Krauss
9. A suspenseful book – a mystery, a thriller, a book about revenge! Skin by Ted Dekker
Read my review of this HERE
10. A book about Summer, with Summer in the title, or in any way related to Summer because this is a Summer challenge! Island of the Sequin Love Nun by Christopher Moore
Finished this earlier this month.  I will review in my July book post.

So all in all, not too shabby.  I'm currently reading my sixth book and have four left to finish by September 21st.  I'm planning on having all the books read in August.

How have you done on the challenge?
 



7 comments:

  1. Great progress! A friend of mine from the US recommended Ted Dekker books to me, but they aren't at the library here, so I haven't explored him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, frustrating! It's good to be forced to move from your desk and lunch but I also like to read blogs then too, ha. I hope the new job is going well other than that! Always exciting.

    Great progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to be up from your desk and have a change of scenery but it's hard to catch up on blogs at night and write posts AND all your other obligations. Working on getting a schedule of some sort worked out.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Thats a lot of a new schedule to get used to! I hope you are liking it! No cell phones allowed? What if there is an emergency or something? I hope they allow carrier pigeons :) Have you read The Martian? I just typed a lot of craziness...ooops

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're coming right along! I'm kind for panicking I won't finish in time but then I check myself and remember there's still another 2 months to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me Since You is on my TBR book but I haven't given it a chance yet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like new jobs always suck the life out of you in the beginning. I even felt that way when I took a new position within my current company because my hours were slightly different (not to mention the fact that I had a lot to learn since I had quite a few new responsibilities).

    I don't do much blogging related stuff at work. Occasionally I'll catch up on my Bloglovin' feed at lunch (on my phone), but I usually either talk with work friends or bring a book. It's not always easy to find time to read and comment on other blogs, respond to comments, and, of course, work on my posts, but I try to carve out a little time at least a couple of times a week to do that stuff. (Obviously I'm a little behind right now since I'm just getting to this almost a week after it was posted!)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS