Tuesday, June 9, 2015

May Book Review


Well, I finally finished the Harry Potter books but I only had time to read two other books.  Counting the book I'm currently reading, I'm at 42 books for the year.  Technically I am behind schedule for my 100 book goal but I'm not worried. I generally like to read everyday, even just for half an hour after work or something but there has definitely been days this month where I haven't picked up a book.

Rating System
5- Loved it! All the feels and flails. New favorite
4- Really liked it
3- Decent
2- Would not recommend. Ehh
1- Did not like.  Didn't finish. Gave book away.


Rating: 3.5/5
I really enjoyed this book.  It was both cute and heartbreaking.  The story is set in a community in England and told from the view of several different characters in the story.  A majority of the story is from a young girl named Skunk.  One day a violent act of cruelty happens in the neighborhood and sets of a serious of events. I adored Skunk.  She was spunky and loveable.
It was eye opening to see the mental health care system in England. I hope that this does not reflect the current situation.  In the book, the mentality of how to treat mental illness was to just hide it and not talk about it.  It didn't really seem like they wanted to help the person get better. 
This book and the quirky humor reminded me a lot of Spot of Bother, which was written by the same author as The Curious Incident of the Dog.

Rating: 5/5
 This is another re-read for me this month.  The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is one of my very favorite books. It's messy and the ending is not the one you want but there is just something so beautiful about this book.
This is the story of Edgar Sawtelle who lives on a dog farm and is mute.  His family breeds and trains a special breed of dogs called Sawtelles who are known for their companionship.  Almondine is one of the dogs breed at the farm and is the epitome of their breed.  She and Edgar share a special connection since he was born.  Small portions of the story are told from her view.  While they are brief, they are the most memorable parts of the book.  Everything changes for Edgar when his father's brother, Claude, comes back to the farm. 
Read this if you are an animal lover and know that there are special connections that exist between man and animal.

Harry Potter Books 5-7
Series Rating: 5/5
Book 5 Rating: 4/5
Book 6 Rating: 4.5/5
Book 7 Rating: 5/5
After having binge read the whole series, start to finish, HP and the Deathly Hallows is my favorite.  I know some HP fans would probably disagree with me on this, but there was so much happening in the last book.  So many story lines meet and come to an end.  So many relationships change and characters evolve and reveal their true selves. I do wish the epilogue was longer.  I wish that more was told about life after Voldemort for Harry, his family and friends and for the wizarding world. I know Rowling has since written about some of it.  I would love in some years time if she did revisit this series.
Must Read: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
One to Skip: None! I liked all the books I read in May and would recommend them.

Life According to Steph
Linking up with Steph

14 comments:

  1. THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE!!!! YES! Finally someone else who has read it. What a great book, although one of the most depressing stories I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Edgar Sawtelle make me cry and cry like The Art of Racing in the Rain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rereading Harry Potter! It brings back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to read more about Harry's parents and the original fight against Voldemort. I'm jealous you just read those books for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a while since I re-read the Harry Potter series but I've been wanting to really bad. I have so many books on my "to read" list that keeps me from starting them again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you read Harry Potter. I really need to re-read those soon. It's been a (long) while!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. HP is not for me. But, the other two...those sound like books that have my name written all over them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Broken and Edgar Sawtelle sound really good, more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish Voldemort had learned the truth about his father (because he thought his father abandoned his mother for being a witch, but his mother actually manipulated his father with a love potion). I also wish Severus Snape had lived; Dumbledore asked way too much of him and then he died anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Broken" sounds really interesting and I know it's a faux pas- but the cover itself makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally judge a book by it's cover. Unless the book is by someone I'm familiar with, that's 90% of what draws me into a book. That and the title.

      Delete
  11. Interesting book about the boy who lives on the dog farm. I think I'd like it because I love dogs. My husband was recently sick and one of my dogs was very keen to the fact that it was. Strange but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally going to check out The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.
    The last HP is by far my favourite! Totally agree. I think Rowling got a lot of flack for the epilogue, a lot of people hated it but I loved it and wish there was more - I love epilogues though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Broken is one of my absolute favorite books, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it! It was also made into a movie (Tim Roth and Cillian Murphy are some of the more well known actors in the film), though I preferred the book to the film.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS