Monday, June 1, 2015

Celebrating

Well, hello there! I guess last week was an unexpected hiatus. I had lots of last minute party prep to do and work has been super busy because this is the time of year we're working on our winter gift catalogs.  Saturday was my parent's surprise party for their 40th wedding anniversary and up until about 30 seconds before we pulled into the place, they had no clue what was going down. 

When I started planning this whole thing, I didn't have a clue how much time and money would go into it and it was 1001% worth it.  To see the looks on my parent's faces when they first walked into the hall and saw the people who had showed up to celebrate them was what made it all worth it. One of my aunts was kind enough to help me make decorations and just throw ideas at.  I was so thankful for her help.  




This is a decoration I made for the party.  It was a huge hit.  I saw my Dad over looking at it multiple times at the party.  He said it brought back a lot of memories.
I just want to get sappy here for a moment and say how proud I am for my Mom & Dad's accomplishment.  Forty years is a lot of ups and downs to go through with one person.  I only hope that one day I can be celebrating the same milestone with someone.  As someone at the party said, in 40 years, a person can change numerous times in that span but it's important to grow together and not apart at the same time.  For a large part of life, my Dad was an alcoholic but as with these things, it wasn't until the very end that it got bad.  I saw their relationship and our family suffer because of his addiction.  Seven years ago, he made the decision to quit drinking for good.  In the time since then, I have seen him and their relationship grow because of it.  They are not in the same place they once were and if you need evidence of that, just look at the first picture above.

I'm off on a work trip to the Hamptons until Wednesday.  Since we are driving down, we have to meet at the office at 5am Woof.

How long have your parents been together?

4 comments:

  1. How sweet! They're lucky to have your support and such a sweet celebration. My folks have been married for 35 years this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting right up there too! Guess it's your turn now to plan a surprise 40th! ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful accomplishment for your parents! As the wife of an alcoholic, I know first hand how hard it is to be in that and keep it all going. I'm glad your Dad got sober and your parents have continued to grow together and enjoy each other.

    I love the 40 out of photos!

    My parents got divorced after 17 years of marriage. They're both remarried and it was for the best.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the collage you made. And the cupcakes!
    I agree that it is important to grow together, not apart.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS