Monday, May 4, 2015

How to Reduce Stress



Work for the next couple of weeks is going to be crazy with a capital C.  When you lose someone in a three person department, you feel the loss acutely and pair that with a normal crazy busy time, you get one stressed out Rosie. When life gets stressful, it's good for your mind and sanity to find a way to reduce that stress. Below are my sure fire ways to relieve some stress.

Read a book

This is by far my most used and favorite way to destress.  Books have always been a huge escape for me.  If I've had a bad day, I come home and pick up my current read and just drift away into the fictional world for awhile. I like not thinking about my day or my to do list for a couple hours.

Change of Scenery

If I'm having a particularly bad morning, I'll take my lunch hour and go for a walk or drive. Sometimes, you just need to remove yourself from the situation to get a better perspective and take a breather.  Sometimes I'll take a walk with a co worker or other times, I will take a drive in my car and listen to some music.

Get Outside

I'm lucky that we have some great nature type trails around our house.  This goes hand in hand with the change of scenery but I like to also get out in the woods and kind of reconnect with myself and nature. Being out in the woods just naturally makes me feel better.  It's no secret that exercise of any kind releases those feel good endorphins.

Have a Glass of Wine

Or some other adult beverage.  Cracking open a bottle of wine or beer after a long day can be a great way to decompress and wind down after a long day.  Bring your favorite magazine or treat yourself to an at home mani to kick it up a notch.

Laughing

Sometimes you just need a good laugh that leaves your sides hurting and tears streaming down your face. So go hang out with the friend who is a clown or watch a show that makes you laugh. Studies have shown that laughing is good for your health.
"A good belly laugh doesn’t just lighten the load mentally. It lowers cortisol, your body’s stress hormone, and boosts brain chemicals called endorphins, which help your mood."


What are some of the ways you like to destress after a long day? 

4 comments:

  1. Going on a walk with my dog! Part of your whole 'get outside' thing. It definitely helps. As does exercise. I never want to do it when I'm stressed but gosh dangit if it doesn't cure most of my blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dangit! I should have added snuggling with my cat. If I'm having a bad day and spend 10 minutes snuggling my kitty, it makes me feel alittle better :)

      Delete
  2. I walk my dogs, exercise, read a book, or paint my nails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all of these - reading, having a bath, laughing or going for a run - that's what i normally do!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS