Tuesday, May 12, 2015

April Book Review


I only read 6 books in April which is less than I have been averaging but still a decent number.  As of the end of April, I've read 35 books this year so not too shabby.

Rating System
5- Loved it! All the feels and flails. New favorite
4- Really liked it
3- Decent. Could have been better/something missing
2- Would not recommend. Ehh
1- Did not like.  Didn't finish. Gave book away.


The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
Rating: 3/5
 I had such high hopes for this book because The Historian is definitely one of my top favorite books.  If you haven't read it, you should check it out.  It's lengthy but worth it.  The Swan Thieves reminded me a lot of Tracy Chevalier or Susan Vreeland's novels, which I like but I just couldn't get into it. Even the art story mystery that was the main thread through the book, wasn't engaging.  And I don't know if the book was so disappointing to me because I had high expectations or because it actually just fell flat.  I'm going to chalk it up to some of both.

The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne
Rating: 3/5
 You can read my review of this book here.

Harry Potter Books 1-4
Rating: Book 1--4/5 
Book 2--3.5/5
 Book 3--3.5/5
Book 4--4.5/5
 I mean, what is there to say that hasn't already been said about Harry Potter? I haven't read the series since the last book came out and I never read it in full then, only just books 5 and 6 in anticipation of the last book.  So I guess you could say that this was my first reread of the series in full. I always knew that the series was at the top of my book list but I kind of forgot the magic of it. I'm starting book 6 now and not ready for it to be over.

 Must Read: Harry Potter (duh)
One to Skip: The Swan Thieves

Life According to Steph
Linking up with Steph

16 comments:

  1. I loved the Harry Potter books, I've been thinking about rereading them sometime soon. I've been curious about The Girl in the Road, I will have to check out your full review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I've never read a Harry Potter book. I don't know that I will but I'm not saying never because maybe when my daughter is older she'll read them and I'll read along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to reread Harry Potter. One day. I haven't read The Historian yet, it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Harry!! I've reread them several times, they're such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a Potter fan.

    I liked The Historian! Maybe I'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Only" 6 books! Ha, that's really good! Harry Potter forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got into the Potter books. The Girl In The Road sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen and loved every Harry Potter movie, and own all the books, but have yet to read them. I think I'm going to start them with my son soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I'd like to read the Harry Potter series (because I've heard it's so good and I liked the movies), it just isn't at the top of my list. Nevertheless, I'm glad what I've heard of the series is true. THEY ARE GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't read HP as a kid so the first time I read them was in 2012/13 and I loved them. It made me super sad I had missed all the hype because I refused to be part of a 'fad'. Next time, I'm going with the fad.. unless it's 50SoG, then I refuse for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATED THE SWAN THIEVES! It took me a million years to get through because I was so stubborn about finishing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I was generous in giving it a 3. I liked the art history story behind it but all of the characters were annoying or not developed enough. I finished it to finish it but yeah, The Historian was like light years away from this one. So disappointing.

      Delete
  12. The first five Harry Potter books are my favorites. I have to be in a particular mood for the sixth and seventh. Reading the books made me disappointed with some parts of the movies, especially "Order of the Phoenix".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the Historian too! I read Swan Thieves and agree with your review, no where near the story that the Historian was. I'm defensive of the Historian, because people hear vampire and think Twilight. I (like most of the internet) love the Harry Potter books, I started them right as the last one came out, so I flew through the series. It's hard for me to remember what happened in what book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently reread the Harry Potter series too. It was fun doing it so long after the first read!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS