Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Top 10 Favorite Authors

 
So I've had this idea written in my blog notebook pretty much ever since I started my blog (2 months ago ) and then I saw Kristin's link up for Top Ten Tuesday with The Broke and the Bookish and the theme was favorite authors so I knew I had to put a quick post together.  I actually had a hard time thinking of ten authors.  Sure, there are authors out there that I like and I have read all the books they have out and would pick up their next new release but are they my favorite?  Probably not. I have two all time favorite authors and then I have authors I like who consistently put out books that I think are good.
 
 

Alice, because I feel like we are on a first name basis, is truly one of my favorite authors.  I have read every book she has written with the exception of a couple of her elementary age ones. She has more books than I can count and I don't own them all.  I can't even remember the first book of hers that I read but I remember I got it from the library and then proceeded to devour her others.  I even requested the ones they didn't have from other libraries.  Her writing is so magical and the way she uses similes is part of her draw for me. I have her newest book on pre-order and it doesn't come out until August.
 
 
 
 
Truth: I haven't even read all of Irving's books but he is still my favorite author.  I own all his books and I have them sporadically placed on my tbr bookcase.  The only book of his that I have read and didn't love is Until I Find You.  I finished it but I struggled with finishing it.  I love that his books read like autobiographies and that he's not afraid to write about controversial topics. My two favorite books of his are World According to Garp, which was the first book I ever read by him, and The Cider House Rules. I also really like that he has consistent themes within his books.  I like to find and compare them to his other works.  I can understand why he would not be everyone's cup of tea.  His writing can be lengthy and his topics might be touchy for some but you can't read one of his books and not connect to it.
 
 
I've yet to read one of her books that I've been disappointed with.  Her books are pure fluff for me but I've read and enjoyed all of them.  I like to read a fluff book every once and again as a kind of "palette cleanser" after particularly heavy reads. Her writing style reminds me a lot of Hoffman's earlier fiction.  Great for beach/vacation reading.
 
 
 
If you haven't heard of Jodi Picoult, you've probably been living under a rock.  I've read and own all of her books. I wouldn't say she is my favorite but she does write consistently good and engrossing books.  I first heard about Picoult when I worked at a small independent bookstore.  Picoult is from my state and she would often come to our sister store and do signings. I feel like in the last 10 years, her popularity has definitely taken off. 
 
 

 
If you are a fan of dysfunctional family humor, you will not be disappointed with Augusten Burroughs.  His memoirs are laugh at loud funny while at the same time heartbreaking. Part Sedaris, part Jeanette Walls of Glass Castle fame. I would suggest starting with Running With Scissors.  All of his memoirs/essays are great reads.  His brother also wrote a memoir called Look Me In the Eye about his life with Asperger's.
 
 
Continuing along the humorous essay/memoir theme, you can't leave out Sedaris. I've read a large portion of his books and they do not disappoint.  Again, laugh out loud funny.  Him and Burroughs are great audio listens as well.
 
 


Pierce Brown is a new and definitely upcoming author.  His first book in his Red Rising Trilogy came out last year and the much anticipated sequel was released in January.  The writing talent his guy has is more than I have in my pinky toe.  If you are a fan of dystopian or science fiction, RUN and pick up Red Rising! The story of Darrow and his journey to avenge the Red's is above and beyond any Hunger Games or Divergent book.  The writing, the characters, the world building. This series has easily been added to my top all time favorites.  Fair warning, you will have all the feels with these books and they will leave you crushed. Out of any of the books mentioned in this post, these are the ones you MUST read! The last book in the trilogy is due out early next year.
 
 
Ethan Frome is my favorite book, ever.  It was assigned reading for one of my English classes in high school and I just fell in love with it.  I reread it every couple of years.  It's depressing and sad but for some reason, it remains my favorite.  "Wharton combined her insider's view of America's privileged classes with a brilliant, natural wit to write humorous, incisive novels and short stories of social and psychological insight."
 
 
I can't not include Rowling and the Harry Potter series on this list.  I mean, her writing opened up the magical world of reading for a lot of young people.  I dare you to read HP and not fall in love with it.
 
 
Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle should be required reading, especially Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I actually just finally read that one last year and it was eye opening.  If you are a fan of food documentaries like Food Inc, you should be reading this. It also seriously made me contemplate living and eating off the land.  My parents have a pretty big vegetable garden every year and I saw a lot of Kingsolver's practices in how they farm and eat.  It really made me want to get back to those roots of knowing where my food comes from.
 
Do we share any favorite authors? 
 
 
Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish

 


11 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Alice Hoffman's or Sarah Addison Allen - adding them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of amazing authors on here. Great choices. J.K. Rowling made my list, too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I mean, can you really leave her off a top writers list?!

      Delete
  3. Picoult is on my list as well. I've read all her books but three. Not all of them are mind-blowing, but like you said, they're consistently good. Compelling, thought-provoking, engrossing, etc., etc. Glad to "meet" another fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burroughs and Sedaris are two authors I will always read and rec. They write in such unique and interesting perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Jodi Picoult and JK Rowling were on my list too. Here is my TTT: fhttps://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/category/top-ten-tuesdays/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them on a lot of people's list. They are popular authors! :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoy both Alice Hoffman and SAA. I typically like Picoult too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a prayer for owen meany is one of my all time favourite books! i have red rising on my list of "to read"...just need to plow through these other 4 books before i get that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like I need to read some John Irving books. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Start with A Prayer for Owen Meaney. The movie Simon Birch was based off it but obviously the book is way better ;-)

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS