Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Random Rambles


// I started re-reading the Harry Potter series.  It has been a solid 7+ years since I read the series.  The last time was right before the last book came out. (Sidenote: I worked at a bookstore when the last book came out.  It was the most insane thing.  We had people waiting outside the store before we opened and I can't even tell you how many hundreds of books we sold that day. We decided to dress up as Hogwarts students for the day.  We had robes and wands and everything.  Also because we got the books before it officially released, we got to secretly take them home and read them before anyone else.) I have fallen in love with the books all over again.  The writing and story is just so magical.  I may be almost 30 but I still wouldn't be opposed to getting a letter from Hogwarts.  I may or may not have a HP post brewing.
PS I don't consider you a real reader if you have not read HP.  It's not just for kids. 

// Let's talk about the job search for a second.  I'm trying so hard to not get discouraged but when you look everyday and there's really no prospects, it's hard not to.  Either it's jobs I'm under qualified for or factory work.  I know that I still have some months left until it actually matters but when you know the other two people in your department are also leaving sooner rather than later and one of them already has a job offer, it's hard not to feel pressured.  I also don't want to be the last man standing. 
The one highlight is that we just got our yearly reviews and I knocked it out of the park. It's always nice when you are recognized for all the hard work you put in. Always put in the extra effort. It doesn't go unnoticed. 

// We had some friends over the other night and for some of them, it was the first time seeing our new place. One of my friends always likes to comment on how lucky I am and 98% of the time, I shrug her off because isn't the grass always greener? But ya know what, this time I really listened. It's no secret that I've been riding the struggle bus hardcore lately and it's really easy to fall into the comparison trap but when I did stop to think about it? I am lucky and there are a lot of things in my life to be thankful for. I need to stop and appreciate all those things a little bit more. 

// On the topic of friends and friendship.  Here's the ugly truth, I've always struggled with keeping and maintaining friendships.  During middle school and high school, I would cycle through friend groups every year or two.  I don't know if it's because I'm an only child and a loner at heart but I've always felt like an outsider. I struggle with forming that invisible bond that a lasting friendship has and it's not for lack of trying.  Maybe I don't open myself up enough or put myself out there, I dunno.  In the last few years, it's been increasingly harder for me to make/find friends. I'll reach out to people and make plans and then they either fall through or I get ditched. It's not a great feeling.  I just feel like at this point in life, most people have their core group of friends and don't need or want anymore,     especially where I live.  People my age have had their friends since kindergarten and you couldn't possibly have changed since you knew someone 10 years ago. Do you find it hard to make new friends as an adult?


What's on your mind today?



4 comments:

  1. Loving the rambles. DID YOU SERIOUSLY GET THE BOOK EARLY? That makes me so jealous/angry/confused. I loved the books. Good luck on the job search- I'm in the same boat on that one with our move coming up. Best wishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies



    1. Rose @ Ramblin' RoseApril 15, 2015 at 2:30 PM

      Yes!! It was the best thing ever but so hard not to say anything about how good it was when people were buying it. Plus since it was such a big book release, they were supposed to be locked up and no one was supposed to access them but it was a small independent book store so it wasn't as big of deal.
      I'm on book 3 now and plowing right through them. I seriously forgot how much I loved them.
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  2. I definitely find it's hard to make friends as you get older and I think a lot of it is me. I have a really big friend group and I am used to them. However, within the friend group - I'm not really the one to make plans so I am just used to being invited to things or showing up. So I note when I'm becoming friends with someone else, they end up doing all the work which probably translates to me not caring to put in effort to be their friend, which isn't the case. I really would love to have newer friends, I think I'm just used to be like "sure i'll show up!' but if youre' just meeting someone that can seem rude. I agree that it's a bit harder!! I think joining clubs, rec leagues, crafting groups etc. helps with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with forming new friends. I agree that I probably should put myself out there more and trying joining some sort of group.

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS