Friday, April 3, 2015

Everybody's Working for the Weekend


Linking up with A. Liz Adventure

//O N E// BOOK TALK
 
 
 Are there any topics or situations in books that turn you off? What about certain character traits?
For some people, they might be turned off by violence, graphic scenes or even language.  Or it could be as simple as you dislike books written in a certain setting or colloquial dialect. 
 
For me, I instantly judge the book more harshly if one of the main characters are unfaithful.  Especially if the story is told from that characters perspective.  There isn't any in depth reason to this.  It just seems that no matter what the reason or excuse is, it's not justifiable. I also don't enjoy books with heavy use of British slang terms. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that I am unfamiliar with some of them. In the same lines of books with British dialect, I have a hard time reading books written using regional dialect.  A great example of this is Beloved by Toni Morrison.  This book is a modern classic but it was just so cumbersome.  I couldn't just enjoy the book because a lot of times, I had to interpret what the characters were saying while also translating that into the story line.  On the other hand, Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of my favorite books and shares the same period writing.

//T W O// FLOWERS
 
 
 I can't tell you how happy fresh flowers in my home makes me.  I've been buying the $5-$10 bunches at my grocery store every Friday and I have been pleasantly surprised by how long they have lasted.  Those tulips up there?  They were $6 for the bunch and an inexpensive pick me up.  They have been consistently been lasting me around 10 days.  You can't beat that!

//T H R E E// EASTER
 
 
My family tradition on Easter Sunday, for as long as I can remember, is to go to sunrise service out at the dam near our house.  One of the local churches puts it on every year and as the name suggests, it takes place at sunrise, meaning 6:30 am.  I don't even get up that early on a work day. The photo up there was taken last year.  Quite a different picture than this year.  You can see bare ground in that photo.  
 
Now our tradition is to go to sunrise service and then back to my parent's house to do Easter baskets and sometimes even an Easter egg hunt.  Yes, I know I'm almost 30 but my Mom likes to put the eggs together and I'm not going to pass up candy and money.  I also like to make it into a competition between Errol and I on who can find all of their eggs first. When I was younger she would put in little coupon like papers too, like this is good for one trip to the movies or this is for a day with just Daddy. After my parent's house, we will visit Errol's Mom and Gram and have a ham lunch with them.

What is one of your Easter traditions?

//F O U R// MOVIE
 
 
We rented the final installment of The Hobbit trilogy the other night.  It was a great ending to the story.  I was slightly disappointed in the culminating battle scene for the mountain.  The battles scenes in LOTR were so well done and epic.  This one just seemed rushed, like they knew the movie was getting too long and needed to cut it down.  I was expecting more of a fight between the groups and instead it focused on two separate individual character's fights.  All in all though it was still a great movie and if you are a fan of the LOTR movies, The Hobbit movies are a must watch.
 
//F I V E// INSPIRATION 
 
 
Whatever holiday you are celebrating this weekend, I hope it's full of good food, family and traditions.  See you Monday!

3 comments:

  1. I think your Easter Traditions are so sweet! We didn't really have any strong traditions in my family so now as I'm more of an 'adult' I'm trying to create some. I don't have anything planned this year though but maybe next year I'll step it up. I know if my mom hid Easter eggs I would still want to go find them. :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought fresh flowers at the grocery store the other day too, and it makes SUCH a difference in our little apartment! What a pick me up!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS