Friday, March 13, 2015

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things Vol 2

Insert obligatory Friday the 13th comment here. This week ended up flying by for me.  It also helped that the weather was in the upper 40's for a few days.  And then Thursday rolled around and I woke up to my car covered in snow.  It was fun while it lasted.  Wednesday it was so nice that we tried to go for a four wheeler ride but there's still too much snow to go far...wishful thinking.

So what are my favorites this week?

Favorite Inspiration

become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
Via Pinterest
 

Favorite Eat

Cake Batter Blondies via Sallys Baking Addiction

If you like the taste of cake batter, you will love these blondies. No mixer, 1 bowl, 30 minutes.
Photo courtesy Sallys Baking Addiction























 I made these over the weekend and let me tell you, they are dangerous.  I had all I could do not to face plant into the dish and eat them all.  As it is, we polished them off by Tuesday.  The recipe couldn't be easier.  The only change I made is that I used a funfetti box of cake mix because I had it already.  I think it just improved the flavor.  Do yourself a favor and go make yourself some of these. Be warned, they are addicting!

Favorite Blog Post

I find that I am most interested in and respond to thought provoking discussion type of blog posts.  I like the comments and interaction it brings.  This post via Perpetual Page Turner is just that. I just recently discovered this book blog.  I tend to not follow too many book blogs because I feel like a lot of them are mainly composed of book reviews.  I like to know the person behind the blog and connect with them in some way.

The post asks readers if it is an author's job to address offensive subjects somewhere in the text.  The comments on this post were great and I really liked that Jamie interacted with the commenters and furthered the discussion.  I believe that in certain situations if the author did address the offensive subject somewhere in the novel, it could detract from the authenticity of it.  For example, if you interrupt the flow of the narrative to explain why a certain slang term was used because of the time period.  Depending on the novel and the overall subject matter, you have to pick and choose your battles. I do however, appreciate when an author include a note in the end explaining why certain terminology was used and why they felt it should be included.

I just read In One Person by John Irving and the topic of this book could overall be viewed offensive to certain people.  The novel reads as biography of a bisexual man who is a "sexual suspect" and is interested in transgender men who are transitioning to women.  He does address in one part of the novel, as the character, that he is using the term transsexual as it was the correct term used during that time period.  In this case, it worked because the character was narrating his own story.

Also, if you haven't read John Irving, you should get to correcting that.  He is one of my favorite authors.

Favorite Home Inspo

i love everything about this sofa. no box cushions, great ottoman, huge pillow back cushions, great color. Really- this entire home is amazing.
Via Tales of Endearment






We are in the process of buying a new couch and this is everything I want.  Gray. Big. Comfy and cozy. Please deliver yourself to my house. pleaseandthankyou

Well that concludes this week's edition of Friday Favorites.


Linking up with Amanda


3 comments:

  1. Really like the motivation- good thing to remember... especially on a Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blondies look amazing! I also love that couch. Our couch is so terrible right now. Can't wait to buy a new one!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS