Monday, March 9, 2015

The Weekend That Was

And back to Monday...
The weather this weekend was beautiful.  It was sunny and in the low 30's.  It just almost convinces you that spring is right around the corner but then you remember that it's only the beginning of March.  Spring doesn't usually start until April here.

Friday I stopped and got some stuff for a new drink I'll be debuting on Thursty Thursday.   I also grabbed some hydrangeas.  Fresh flowers always put a smile on my face.  This part of the winter is always the hardest for me.  The snows brown and everything is dreary.  You are anxious for spring and it seems the snow is never going to melt.  You anticipate the first buds blooming and birds singing.  I can almost smell it.


Saturday we had plans to hang out with some friends that E used to work with and we hadn't seen in a while.  We went up to Derby Line, Vermont is which about as close as you can get to Canada while still being in the US.  The library in Derby is actually partly in Canada. It's really pretty up there with lots of farmland and open fields.


I started reading my 24th  book of the year.  This is the first time I've ever kept track of how many books I've read so it will be interesting to see at the the end of the year.  I have a loose goal of 100.  I'm reading a lot now but know that in the summer, I tend to read less so we'll see.  I'm a big fan of historical fiction.  I'm reading Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.  It's based on the leper colony that was established on the Hawaiian island of Moloka'i during the late 1800's and early 1900's.  I'm barely 100 pages in.  The main character, Rachel, has just been quarantined to the leper settlement. She is only 7 years old and because she has developed leprosy, she has been taken away from her family and sent to this settlement. I'm looking forward to seeing how her character is going to develop and where the story takes her.



We made homemade KFC Famous Bowls for an easy Sunday supper.  I'm planning on taking a half day sometime this week to go cross country skiing.  We are supposed to get up into the 40's this week and I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS