Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Show Us Your Books-February Edition

February was a good month for reading.  I read a total of 8 books and if I continue on with this monthly average, I will have no problem with hitting my yearly goal of 100, I might even exceed it!

Rating System
5- Loved it! All the feels and flails. New favorite
4- Really liked it
3- Decent.  Could have been better/something missing
2- Would not recommend. Ehh
1- Did not like.  Didn't finish. Gave book away.



Rating-4
I'm a fan of the stories Jennifer writes.  They are dark and suspenseful.  I've also read Promise Not to Tell by her and I currently have Don't Breathe a Word waiting to be read.
The One I Left Behind is told from the POV of Reggie.  It alternates from present day to 1985 when she was 13 years old.  It's the story of a serial killer named Neptune who abducts young women and severs their hand, leaving it for the police, before killing them.  In 1985 Reggie's mother ends up being one of Neptune's victims except her body never turns up.  Twenty years later Reggie's mother is found alive and living in a homeless shelter.  Reggie returns to her home town to try and piece together what has happened to her mother.
I would recommend this book and her others for fans of Gillian Flynn. 


Rating-3
This is a memoir written from Michael's experience with his daughter's psychosis at the age of 15.  It begins on the day her illness presents itself and follows her through her admittance into a psychiatric hospital. 
My one issue with the book is that the author kept describing her illness and the day where everything happened as her 'crack up'.  That terminology to be seems very outdated and I just couldn't get past it.  I also had trouble with the author's view and feelings on his daughter's illness. And while he did show compassion, it just seemed very much black and white.  Like he just wanted her to pick her self up and be back to 'normal'.  I would have liked to have seen a chapter or something from her perspective. 
Rating-3.5-4
 This is a sweeping historical novel of Paris.  It moves from the early medieval era to the 1900's.  The history is told through several different families through the ages. The novel does switch back and forth between time periods and families and this is where I had the hardest time with the book.  There are a lot of characters in this book and sometimes it is hard to keep the names straight.  The families are all the same but the actual person is different depending on the time period.  It was confusing to know how each person was related.  With that being said, I did enjoy this book for the historical information and I particularly liked the parts set around 1850-1945. The characters in these chapters were more flushed out and the storyline was engaging. 
Even though this book wasn't a favorite, I will be reading his New York novel as well since I did like the historical aspect of it.
Rating-3.5
This was the last book I had to read by Flynn and Gone Girl is still my favorite of her books.  Once you have read all of them, you really see her evolution as a writer.  This book and Sharp Objects I struggled with.  I like the storylines because they are dark and disturbing but at the same time both of these books have weak female characters.  It isn't until the end of the books where they find their strength.  I just can't get behind portraying women as weak because a traumatic event happened to them.

Rating-3.5
This is the story of Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith.  She is 384 years old and this is the story of her life.  I thought this book was interesting. It has witches and warlocks.  Side note: does anyone else hate the term warlock? The warlock has bound himself to Elizabeth by giving her immortality and power and the story revolves around him hunting her through different time periods. 
Rating-2
I thought this book was interesting and informative in the beginning and then it just kept going on and on.  I feel like the information was repetitive and the book could have easily been cut down by a third.  I was most drawn to the book because of the Mormon history.  It would be interesting to see what a practicing Mormon's opinions are on this book.

**I did not finish this book.  I had about 80 pages left so I did not count this as a full book towards my goal.

Rating-2
I read this book off and on as I had it on my Kindle app.  The book is about the author's childhood and early twenties and trying to find himself.  I was slightly reminded of Augusten Burroughs while reading this because of the dysfunctional, eccentric characters. The stories were sometimes funny but at the end of the book, I just kind of felt like, "what's the point?"
Rating-4
 I liked this book.  It was a quick read and I thought the premise was inventive.  The book takes place on an island called Blessed and there are seven short stories that are all intertwined.  All of the stories center around Eric and Merle but in each story their roles and fate are different.  The issue I had with this book is that there was no real character development.  None of the characters were three dimensional so it was hard to connect with them. 
Rating-4.5
Such a heartbreakingly good book.  It was not at all what I expected.  I purchased this awhile ago as part of Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals and didn't really know too much about it.  Originally, I thought it was a book about a boy and girl falling in love or something to that ilk but it was actually a story of two boys falling in love.  It's quite obvious from the beginning that Ari is gay but he just hasn't accepted it or acknowledged it.  That is until Dante comes around.  I read this in about a day and it just tore me up in the best possible way.


Linking up with Steph

Life According to Steph 


10 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Sharp Objects by Flynn this weekend- totally different than Gone Girl. Don't know if I can motivate myself to read Dark Places...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a shot. I should add that I did like the plots of both of the books. Try The One I Left Behind too!

      Delete
  2. I had to add the last one to my Goodreads list. That sounds right up my alley.

    I read Sharp Objects/Dark Places/Gone Girl in the order they came out. I liked them all for different reasons. Flynn is dark and twisty and I don't mind that in my reading. Which is why I also liked The One I Left Behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Out of all the books I listed, Aristotle and Dante is the front runner. It just came so out of left field for me because I thought it was going to be this easy YA read and it tore my heart up.

      I should add that I did like the plot on all of Flynn's books, I just had issues with each of them. I love anything dark, twisted and f'ed up.

      Delete
  3. Guess I'll have to read the newer Flynn's before going back to her earlier stuff. I did love Gone Girl though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read them! They are quick and most reviews I've seen, people have liked them.

      Delete
  4. Dark Places is on my list to read. The One I Left Behind sounds dark, and interesting going to add it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like The One I Left Behind. I love her stuff and am slowly working my way through all her books.

      Delete
  5. Jennifer McMahon - I really liked Promise Not to Tell but didn't care much for Dismantled. I looked, and I have The One I Left Behind on my "to read" list. I need to get to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to Dismantled yet. I really want to read her new one called Winter People. It sounds like it might be a different sort of book than she normally writes.

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS